mandag 14. mai 2012

Strava segment matching issues

Merckx-regler - TT. Hammeren - Skar - Hammeren 10K is a pretty busy segment in the Oslo area. It has been used as venue for the unofficial Norwegian championships for time trial Merckx-style(*). The problem with this segment is that it is an "out and back", i.e. a segment where you go back and forth on the same road. "Outs and backs" are, according to Strava, problematic for the segment matching algorithm.

On a ride last year I rode on parts of this segment (though I didn't know it existed), and behold: I set a pretty decent time on the segment. And only with 136 bpm! At the time I was top ten, but have since fallen to 38th. Hey, I even received kudos - not something that befalls me often.

The above picture shows the segment, and also reveals why I set the not-so-half-bad time: I turned around 1.25 km before a reached the real turn around point. So, in sum I only road 75% of the length of the segment (7.5 km of 10 km total). As I understand it the Strava segment matcher matches efforts that a) have the same start- and end point as the segment and b) follows at least 75% of the path of the segment (I was lucky there). And of course it also has to account for inaccuracies in the gps data received from the devices.

Btw, I'm not the only one - if you bother to take a look at the various rides, you'll uncover all kinds of rides that are not on the actual segment.

The people at Strava are working on improving the matching algorithm, and hopefully issues like this will eventually go away. In the meanetime I'm tempted to to all of these three things:
  • Create two seperate segments (in and out), and put together a composite segment on Composeg. This should yield the real leaderboard.
  • Try to write a "fraud detector" that can tell if an effort really is a real match. Mostly because it would be an interesting challenge - I have no idea how to do this.
  • Go up there tomorrow and ride all out, turning at "my special point". I think it's the only way I'll ever have the chance at being KOM on a not to marginal segment.


The moral of the story is of course to be careful with making segments that are out and backs or that are circuits.

* In short, a time trial competition where only regular rode bikes are allowed.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar